To provide AAZK chapters, members, and institutions with the tools necessary for elevating the animal keeping profession and the zooquaria field as a whole.
- Create, maintain, and distribute a living database of resources for chapters, members, and intuitions that aim to explore both frequently asked questions and emerging issues.
- Promote the work of animal care professionals and zooquaria institutions year round, including annually during National Zoo Keeper Week.
- Surveying and analyzing zooquaria demographics in order to better serve the membership and professional community.
- Create public awareness of AAZK and the zooquaria field’s dedication to conservation and wildlife.
- Communicate the necessity for zooquaria by way of promoting animal care professionalism, research, and fundraising efforts.
The AAZK Resource Committee, or ARC, aims to answer the most common questions in the keeper profession, while addressing new issues related to the zooquaria field. This searchable database will establish baseline knowledge on an array of subjects for all communities within AAZK including but not limited to: chapters, members, and institutions. ARC will move beyond this general information and investigate lesser known issues including compassion fatigue, keeper wellness, and chapter finances relating to recent AAZK and BFR updates.
- Chapter Resources & Networking
- Keeper & Member Resources
- National Zoo Keeper Week & Social Media
- Conference and Member Market Place
ARC and NZKW Committee Chair
Chapter Resources and Networking Team Leader
Conference and Member Marketplace Team Leader
Keeper and Member Team Resources Leader
National Zookeeper Week Program Manager, NZKW and Social Media Team Leader
National Zookeeper Week
A component of the AAZK Resource Committee is National Zookeeper Week As the need to protect and preserve our wildlife and vanishing habitats has increased, our role as educators and wildlife ambassadors has become essential. During the third week of July each year, celebrate National Zookeeper Week; both keepers and animals deserve professional recognition.
National Zookeeper Week 2017 is July 16-22. This year NZKW will be highlighting the diversity of keepers and their contributions to global conservation efforts. For the most up to date information on NZKW and chapters across the country, visit AAZK on Facebook. To submit a highlight for an AAZK chapter, obtain a list of NZKW events/fundraiser ideas, or join the NZKW program team, please email the ARC Chair at email@example.com.
National Zookeeper Week’s Mission:
To recognize and promote dedicated zoo and aquarium professionals year round, culminating in an annual celebration during the third week in July – National Zookeeper Week.
When is National Zookeeper Week?
National Zookeeper Week starts annually on the third Sunday of July. Remember – it’s never too early (or too late) to start planning for NZKW; check out the dates for upcoming years:
July 16-22, 2017
July 15-21, 2018
July 21-28, 2019
Representative Susan A. Davis introduced House Resolution 509 on June 21, 2007:
Expresses support for the goals and ideals of National Zookeeper Week. Recognizes the contributions zookeepers make to the care and conservation of captive exotic animals and to research, public education, and recreation. Expresses a renewed dedication to the appreciation and preservation of animal wildlife and nature and an invigorated effort to foster conservation projects and increase awareness of the need for preservation.
ARC/National Zookeeper Week Resources:
Right click on the graphic to copy/save once the link has opened in a new window.